12 February 2010

Urban Density vs. Natural Landscape


A driving passion behind my architectural studies has always been the dichotomy between urbanity and the natural world. Can the two worlds exist together? Can an intensity of both concepts exist to support and even enhance the other? I have struggled with this concept for years, basing much of my thesis research around this harmonic notion.
The idea is a simple one in theory, yet it is so rarely found in American society. Usable open space often becomes overlooked and taken for granted in the suburbs and lusted after in dense urban settings.

So the battle becomes one of lifestyle choices. Does one forgo one luxury to achieve the other? Families flock to the suburbs to provide their children with safe outdoor areas, while giving up access to other areas of the city and the ability to travel anywhere without a car. Others value urban connectivity to the extent that they are willing to give up an abundance and freedom of outdoor space to stay connected to their urban roots and culture.

Ironically, my new home is located in an extremely accessible area of Brooklyn. My subway station is only one block away and I travel can from Lower East Side music venues to my bed in less than 45 minutes, I timed myself last night. I live in a six story building, yet can see Prospect Park from my writing desk! That's right, I have the delicate balance of dense urbanism and natural environments at my fingertips. So, this begins a series of posts dedicated to my continued study of the relationships fostered between inhabitants of this dense neighborhood and the sprawling natural environment to which we all enjoy access. How does it affect the lives of those who live nearby? How does it influence neighborhood connectivity and interaction? I intend to dedicate a portion of the following year finding out!

In addition, to show off how lovely this urban oasis is, I will update photos of the Park throughout the seasons. As you all know, we all got hit with a blizzard this week, thus follows the Park in all of its winter glory.



Even Apollo loves his access to nature!

Crossing into the Park.

No comments: