20 April 2009

Eat Shit.....and Sustain?

Unfortunately, this is not a post venting my feelings about those who have scorned me in the past. I've always cringed at the phrase, 'eat shit and die', and besides, I am a lady. One must be truly fuming to throw out such a vulgar and drastic insult. Those are probably two of the last things I would want demanded of me. This, my friends, is a post in honor of the quickly approaching Earth Day, and a segue into my fascination with the numerous amount of inspirational people Chicago has to offer.

In my never ending quest for knowledge, I have stumbled across a true champion of mother nature's natural processes. On the off chance that someone out there reads this blog, I feel no need to name names, but I have recently come across the story of an urban ecologist with a mission to educate Chicagoans about their surroundings and reconnect city dwellers to the natural environment. I think to myself, this lady is fascinating, the other side to my coin, a lover of the paradoxical relationship between man and nature, a proponent of harmony. She has worked many fascinating jobs, followed her passions, and made great impacts in her field. One of her hobbies is leading two hour walks through city streets, educating city dwellers about edible plants growing all around us, which I will probably sign up for after finishing this post.

Then I get to the meat of why she has earned a full page rap in this paper...she has set out on a long and extensive project to collect 22 of her closest friends human waste, compost it, and return it to them for use in their vegetable gardens. Of course, such an endeavor takes a lot of knowledge, dedication, and hard work. I am truly fascinated by this project and its possible repercussions. I don't think its far fetched to believe that sometime far, far down the road, we will all learn to hold more respect for our bodies and their natural processes and the true cycle of life. As she says, one can take something almost all of us are uncomfortable with, make friends with it, transform it, and use it to grow flowers. Although I cringe at the idea of eating food grown in part by human excrement, I challenge us all to sit down and think about where the food we ingested today came from, I am willing to bet that most all Americans have eaten something with more foul origins than our own composted waste.

While this sad truth is sobering, I don't see large scale human waste composition in our immediate future. The article could not disclose the location of her composting collection, as it is illegal to contain such a large amount of human waste in an urban environment. I suppose we can hold on to the sophomoric and threatening demand I opened with for just a bit longer....perhaps I should vent some of those hostilities before it's too late...

No comments: