17 April 2009

A Series of Pretentious Questions

I've decided that since I can never find a significant amount of time to make a worthwhile blog post, I have conceded to short spurts of thought at increasingly frequent intervals. Some of these may be bad, and that scares me a little, many will digress from topic, but hopefully more will be radical and worthwile.

Lately I have grown inexplicably obsessed with questions. Perhaps because I am stuck in a perpetual, year long, difficult, drastic turning point of life, perhaps because I spend too much time alone in my car, or maybe because I'm an architect and we are bred to question everything. Regardless, I find myself rapid firing questions in my head, or often aloud, with no desire for an answer or resolution, but for the sole purpose of wonderment. So here goes.....

Why are humans so drawn to beautiful, sunny days outdoors? Does everyone think this way? Are there people out there who wouldn't jump at the chance to spend time in nature? Why am I so drawn to dive bars, hole in the walls, derelict buildings, etc. but cringe at the thought of living in a cluttered environment? Do I thrive on a state of oxymoron? Why do people move away from dense urbanity to 'get away from the stress' when I find it so stressful to be forced to drive to a destination? What inspires creativity and human thought? Are people drawn to those inspired by similar muses or is this a case of do opposites attract? Can one thrive on the interaction of people while being herself/himself an incredibly introverted personality? Can the interaction of others be an inspiration to an outside observer? Can one achieve this outside observation if they themselves are in the midst of such interaction?

I tend to have love affairs of sorts with punctuations....perhaps this symbolizes my life track. There was a long period of obsession with the period. I refused to use other means of punctuation. The period was so simple, so easy, so bold. As I plan a next phase of life, my penchant has shifted to the precarious question mark... sensuous, non-conformative, and funky, it brings a new vision and a hint at the unknown.

Perhaps I ask too many questions, but when you stop wondering, what does your life become?

No comments: